Keep these tips in mind with any form of written communication: email, internal communication platforms (Microsoft Teams, Slack), text, chat, etc.
- Respond quickly, clearly, and concisely.
- Think before you send: Do I need to “reply all?”
- Avoid cluttering inboxes – do you need to reply “got it” or “thanks.”
- Read and re-read the email/message you received and your response.
Did you overlook anything?
- Ensure subject lines are relevant (this makes it easier to search later).
- Proofread and spell check!
- Consider etiquette and tone.
- Check your ABCs: Accuracy, Brevity, and Clarity.
- Consider a phone call or meeting if your email/message is too long, too detailed or requires a decision.
- On occasion, give yourself a digital communication vacation!
Why Am I Sending This Email?